Liberia and other stuff

12:01 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
Hope you had a great Christmas and you're still going strong on your resolutions. My big one for this year was to cut down on the DC and I'm still doing pretty well. I've cut down to one 12 oz can a day and am pretty much sticking to it. I also resolved to cut down on the migraines, which I've also been doing with the aid of some new drugs. And a neurologist convinced me that too many of the old ones were causing more headaches. He was right.

The best news of my year is that Dave got a job, though. Yep. WOOHOO! It's a freakin' miracle. Not a lot of construction guys are getting new jobs so we're feeling particularly blessed. For me that's proof that The Big Guy is looking out for us.

There's also this minute chance that Dave could get the opportunity to work in Liberia for a little while. Liberia is a country on the west coast of Africa between Sierra Leone (Blood Diamond) and Côte d'Ivoire. If you do a Google search you'll find pictures of beautiful tropical beaches alongside utter devastation brought on by more than a decade of civil war that completely decimated the infrastructure of the country. The only electricity in the Capital city of Monrovia is provided by generators. If he goes he'll be employed by a Japanese? Lebanese? company, live in a compound and have a personal, unarmed bodyguard (because guns are illegal in all of Liberia- only the U.N. peacekeepers are armed).

Why on earth would he go there? Two and a half times his current pay, that's why. Plus, it'd be a grand adventure for him. As well as a humanitarian mission. He'd have the opportunity in the evenings and on weekends to go into nearby villages and help them rebuild their schools, homes and businesses. For $50 american he could deliver enough rice to feed an entire village for a week. With the construction skills he has he could really make a difference in their lives. Many of the remaining Liberians are unskilled and uneducated and he could teach them how to build, how to read and write.

Do I want him to leave me here to raise 3 teenagers and run the house while I also work full time? Nope. I'm not that crazy. But if the opportunity does come around I'll probably let him go. If that's what the Lord has in mind for us. And believe me, he won't go without absolute confirmation that it's what's supposed to happen. Can you imagine, though?

0 comments: