Lessons in Gratitude

10:25 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
The lesson in Relief Society Sunday was about gratitude. I think. At least that's what I got out of it. The story that stuck with me was one about a bishop and his wife who were hosting a general authority at their home when one of their dear friend's husband's died. Before they went to help and minister to her they knelt to pray for her, and before the bishop's wife began to pray the general authority suggested that instead of asking for anything she offer a prayer of gratitude, asking for nothing. The bishop admitted that he was confused, because he wanted so much to ask for peace and comfort for his newly widowed friend, but his wife followed the counsel and gave a prayer of gratitude, thanking Heavenly Father for our knowledge of the Atonement, for the great Comforter, the Holy Ghost. She thanked Him for the plan of salvation and the opportunity to live forever as families, and our great support system in the church to see each other through tough times.

The lesson was a great reminder for me of all the many amazing blessings we have to be grateful for. Last night as I knelt to pray before bed I tried a gratitude prayer and it was an amazing experience. Instead of asking Heavenly Father to get my kids to do certain things I simply thanked Him for strong, intelligent children and for free will. That sentence alone changed my attitude about certain situations I've been praying hard about. My children are very intelligent, very strong-willed, and they do have their own free will. Which they are adamantly exercising. The more I get out of their way the better off they will be. The moment I embraced that thought in my mind I felt the Spirit strongly impress on me that this was the answer I've been looking for. That the certain child I've been so worried about will find their way on their own if I get out of the way.

I thought I knew how to pray- and how to listen for answers. Imagine that—you can teach an old dog new tricks

0 comments: